Sunday, March 15, 2015

Snowmobiles on water

At one point in Tiamat's Nest, Charles is on the run and his friend takes them across country on a ski-doo, or snowmobile. Along the way, they use it to cross a river a hundred meters wide.

One critiquer wondered if such a thing is possible. Yes it is!

I remember first seeing this trick years ago on a Top Gear program set in Iceland, before Jeremy Clarkson started getting in trouble with the BBC, and the memory returned when I was looking for obstacles to throw in Charles's path.

I thought maybe that this would be rare anomaly, but when I researched the possibilities in earnest I discovered that the feat is very well known and has even been turned into a sport!




So I am confident that what I wrote is a manageable, if rather dangerous, stunt.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it can be done and it's lots of fun to watch, safely from the bank lol.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, can you imagine being the first person to try that? If not for the video, I wouldn't have thought it possible.

stephen Hayes said...

Incredible!

Botanist said...

Delores, I just thought it was a few barmy Icelanders, never realized it was so widespread.

Alex, wonder who first thought they could do that?

Stephen, exactly!

Pearson Report said...

That was cool. I found myself leaning back in my chair for the first one thinking any minute the thing's going to sink. Then one did in the second one…. amazing!

Botanist said...

Jenny, the first one sank too, right at the end. Just goes to show, the slightest loss of control and you're sunk :)

Jean Davis said...

I can safely say I'd never try that, but I'll join Delores on the shore to watch. I'll stick to boats for my water travel.

Botanist said...

Jean, I'd certainly watch, from a safe distance, preferably with a crate of beer by my side... :)

Misha Gerrick said...

I've also seen it done on TV and thought it was cool.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, that looks like a ton of fun.

Teresa Cypher said...

Lol, that looks a little squirrely, but I never doubted it when I read it in Tiamat's Nest. I thought I'd seen it done in the 80s at our local farm show pond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...