Thursday, March 28, 2013

It's nearly April...

And you know what that means.

It's time for the A to Z Challenge 2013.

As I mentioned earlier this month, I will be posting alphabetically on topics related to software development.

This series is about development in a broad sense. It is not about programming. It is not about technology as such, but about how to get ourselves back in the driving seat and get technology working for us, rather than the other way around.

I have compiled a series of topics which I believe are good habits of thought in the software development process, that should help us build good and useful software.

Although these habits are (IMHO) good practices in any software endeavor, I'm especially thinking about the kind of software that underpins many businesses around the world.

All those applications that pay you, manage your stock room, take orders from your customers on the web. All those applications that armies of people use, day in day out, to keep the business world ticking over. I don't care whether they are swish web applications, mainframe green screen, or cobbled together in MS Access or a raft of spreadsheets. If you ever string together lines of code and calculations to achieve a business goal, then listen up!

Why do so many of these applications make you feel like you're battling an octopus just trying to get through the day's work?

Why do so many of them suck?

This series says it doesn't have to be that way.

9 comments:

klahanie said...

Hi Ian,

Do I get bonus points for commenting at 3:30 A.M. Yes? No? Whatever?

I shall be looking forward, with much interest, your application of the A to Z. As for me, um something starting with "Z" :)

Cheers, Ian. I'm outta' here, eh..

Gary :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian .. the April postings sound interesting .. I'm looking forward to them ..

Have a very happy Easter with the family - cheers Hilary

Jean Davis said...

Sounds interesting. I'll be dropping by when I can. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like your theme!

Anonymous said...

I always thought the programs we used at work were nothing short of miraculous. Of course they could have done more, better...anything can be improved...but they were certainly faster than the old paper files we used. Our IT boys were wizards of the highest degree.

Botanist said...

Gary, bonus points for sure ;) Sleep well.

Hilary, I hope you have a happy Easter, too.

Jean, looking forward to seeing your posts, too.

Alex, thanks. I'll admit I'm a bit nervous because this can be a dry topic. I hope I've managed to talk to it in a way that people will enjoy.

Delores, I know there's lots of good software out there too. You were lucky, and it sounds like you had a good in-house team. That makes a difference. Hmmm...I've the germ of an idea for my troublesome "X" post now, thanks!

Pearson Report said...

I'm looking forward to dropping in and reading your topic for the A-Z, it sounds interesting.

Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

Botanist said...

Thanks Jenny, I see you are taking part too. Looking forward to it.

Lisa Southard said...

A very pragmatic subject Mr Botanist! Spreadsheets scare me- I shall be taking notes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...