Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Then and now

In case you hadn't noticed, the "Dear Aunt Agatha" series of posts is a flashback to snapshots exactly five years ago (at the time of writing), giving a real-time account of our progress as new immigrants. These posts are in the form of fictional letters to a fictional relative back in The Old Country (as we immigrants like to say).

David's comment on yesterday's post sparked a thought: opportune moment to provide an update on where those things I wrote about yesterday stand now.

Work: I feel I'm well entrenched in the fabric of the organisation now, and fully at home there. Yes it's big and complicated, and I still learn new things every day, but I feel like I've got my head around it now. I suppose this is helped by the fact that the Ministry has reorganised at least once a year since I joined, so the current organisation is really only a few months old, and people who've been in the building for thirty years are at almost as much of a disadvantage in understanding it as a complete newcomer.

One thing I can say with confidence: I've not experienced a single day of boredom there. In fact, it can be too exciting for comfort at times.

Cycling: I wasn't too far off in my estimate. My commute takes about an hour on average. A bit longer at the start of the year, and a bit less when my body has lost some of the winter sloth. I don't cycle in the dark months, and I certainly don't cycle every day. Hmmm...idea for future post...have to take the camera out one day and show you the trail rather than talking about it.

Megan and Matthew still enjoy school. The boredom didn't last long and Megan is a good, keen student but has to put in the effort to keep up nowadays, rather than breezing it like she did at first. For Matthew, we've concluded that the content of his lessons is probably less important than simply having a teacher he can relate to and will listen to. They are both busy these days with extra-curricular activities. Way too much choice available!

Ali's commitments have expanded too. Stints on the PAC, and other school committee duties, as well as Guide and Cub leader, and even Guide District Commissioner along the way. Talk about sucker for punishment.

So, after the frenzy and pioneering feelings of immigration, life has settled into familiar routines. Hectic ones at times, yes, and ever-changing from one term to the next as everyone tries to juggle a multitude of interests in the standard allotment of time. Does any of that sound familiar to other parents out there?

Incidentally, yesterday's post was the 100th on this blog. I had no idea when I started this venture that I'd have so much to write about.

2 comments:

klahanie said...

Greetings,
I am reading, with much interest, your ongoing adventures in British Columbia. It is pleasing to know that you are being so involved. I really do believe that is the key to success and happiness in a new environment.
Belated congratulations on your 100th blog. Happy writing.
Kind wishes, Gary.

Botanist said...

You said it, Gary! Involvement is key. We heard so many stories about people who didn't have a happy experience, and so often it seemed like they either expected life to be just like before but in a better setting, or they expected success to drop into their laps.

My view...you have to work at it and become part of your new country. It's a new life, not some lifelong vacation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...